Thursday, March 4, 2010

Take this job and love it :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Betsy Hart

Take this job and love it :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Betsy Hart

Chicago Sunday Times *

Take this job and love it *

FROM THE HART Teach children [AND EMPLOYEES] work isn't to be 'endured'; it's part of significant plan *
March 4, 2010 *

BY BETSY HART *
Of all the jobs I have ever held, the one that was most immediately satisfying to me was waitressing, back in high school and college. *

I'm not kidding. It was not the most thrilling. That was working in the press office in the Reagan White House almost right out of college. *

And waitressing wasn't the most challenging. I like to think that's what I do now with my weekly column, and yes, I hope I am having a real influence. *

But satisfying in real time? Waitressing. Yes, I was good at it -- I can still handle plates like a pro and multi-task at dinner like you wouldn't believe. *

But what I really loved was directly connecting with people, and doing everything I could to make sure they had a great experience. The immediate, tangible satisfaction of the smile, the thank you, taming the "bear" customer that no one else could, knowing I had made their meal or night out special by giving them great service. Plus, I made a ton of money in tips! *

Anyway, I thought of this when I saw the sign that hangs in the nurse's office at my son's high school. Part of it reads, "when the workday ends, life begins." *

I know, it's just another vacuous cultural message bombarding my kids. But this one really bugs me. The idea that somehow work is something of little value except for providing a paycheck, that it's to get "through" so one can do something that is actually meaningful or fun, is so empty. *

It's no surprise then that today we parents go to great length to encourage our children to find work to which they are well-suited and for which they have a passion. And that's fine. But what about also building into our children values that will help them be well-suited to their work, even if it's not their dream job? *

Dr. Michael Steger, an assistant professor of psychology at Colorado State University, is conducting research on what makes work meaningful, and his blog (http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/ blog/the-meaning-in-life) on the subject for Psychology Today is fascinating. In one recent piece, he recounts this well-known story: *

"Three men are found smashing boulders with iron hammers. When asked
what they are doing, the first man says, 'Breaking big rocks into little rocks.'
The second man says, 'Feeding my family.' The third man says, 'Building a
cathedral.' " *

The latter saw the bigger, more satisfying picture, and so he found meaning in his work. *

OK, but what if in our work we are not contributing to something "grand"? What if we are not in a lab helping a cancer researcher, which anyone might feel good about? Steger recounts this testimonial: *

"I am a production analyst. The part of my job that is most
meaningful to me is that I take large, confusing amounts of data and produce
reports that allow my co-workers to make sound business decisions. I like that I
help make sense of what we are doing." *

Building into our children that view of work, that they can almost always see themselves as part of doing something significant and helpful to others even if it's not grand or not "all about me," goes against our cultural grain in so many ways. But Steger's research shows that such workers tend to be happier and more satisfied with their work. *

And surely when that kind of workday is over, life doesn't suddenly "begin" -- but that is when it can become so much richer and more fulfilling over the long term. *


Access Original Posting:
http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/betsyhart/2081794,ESY-News-EasyHart04.article

***********************************************************************
http://dreamlearndobecome.blogspot.com This posting was made my Jim Jacobs, President & CEO of Jacobs Executive Advisors. Jim also serves as Leader of Jacobs Advisors' Insurance Practice.

No comments: