Friday, October 1, 2010

Leaders Know Their Value | Bret L. Simmons - Positive Organizational Behavior

Leaders Know Their Value Bret L. Simmons - Positive Organizational Behavior


Bret L. Simmons
Positive Organizational Behavior

Behavior is a function of both the person and the snvironment (system) ~ Lewin (1936)

Leaders Know Their Value
September 30, 2010 by Bret L. Simmons · Filed under: Leadership, Personal Branding



If you and I met to have coffee for 30 minutes every day for the next year, could you share something with me that could help me address issues that matter to me?

I asked an owner of a service providing business this question recently, and after a long pause, her response was “I’m not sure.” I appreciated her honesty, but I’m not sure she appreciated how critical my question was.

Your value, what you can do uniquely well to help others, is your currency. If you are remarkably good at helping others with something that really matters, then you will merit fair if not impressive compensation and rarely want for work.

Those that know their value reap the rewards of competitive advantage, while those that are ambiguous about their value expose themselves and their organizations to competitive peril.

Knowing your value does not mean being able to tell folks how great you are. Knowing your value as a leader is the confidence that comes with having a crystal clear understanding of what it is you can do uniquely well to help others seize opportunities or solve problems that matter to them.

Knowing our value is not a feel good exercise. If you are not continuously testing your value in the market and the mirror, I guarantee you that you don’t really know what you need to know.


Read more: http://www.bretlsimmons.com/2010-09/leaders-know-their-value/#ixzz116qXzqEm



********************************************************
http://dreamlearndobecome.blogspot.com This posting was made my Jim Jacobs, President & CEO of Jacobs Executive Advisors. Jim also serves as Leader of Jacobs Advisors' Insurance Practice.

No comments: