Friday, October 8, 2010

September 30, 2010 release of Bruce Tulgan's free newsletter (TEXT VERSION)

September 30, 2010 release of Bruce Tulgan's free newsletter (TEXT VERSION)


Rainmaker Thinking Inc

Bruce Tulgan's Free Newsletter (TEXT VERSION)
September 30, 2010 issue - 250th edition
"Eight Steps Back to the Basics of Boss-Managing"

You want to succeed? You need to practice the basics of boss-managing. We took everything we've learned from fifteen years of research and developed dozens of concrete tactics for dealing effectively with the very real world challenges of managing your boss. I call them the eight steps back to the basics of boss-managing.
STEP ONE. THE FIRST PERSON YOU HAVE TO MANAGE EVERY DAY IS YOU
STEP TWO. MAKE TIME EVERY DAY TO MANAGE ANY BOSS YOU ANSWER TO
STEP THREE. TAKE IT ONE BOSS AT A TIME
STEP FOUR. CUSTOMIZE YOUR APPROACH TO EVERY SINGLE BOSS
STEP FIVE. MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND EXACTLY WHAT IS EXPECTED OF YOU EVERY STEP OF THE WAY
STEP SIX. DON'T FORGET RESOURCE PLANNING
STEP SEVEN. TRACK YOUR OWN PERFORMANCE EVERY STEP OF THE WAY
STEP EIGHT. GO THE EXTRA MILE SO YOU CAN EARN THE RECOGNITION AND REWARDS YOU NEED
Become the employee who can say to every boss, "Great news, I'm going to take responsibility for my part of this management relationship! I'm going to take responsibility for my role and my conduct in this relationship. I know you are busy. I know you are under a lot of pressure. I'm going to help you boss, by getting a bunch of work done very well, very fast, all day long. I'm going to work with you, boss, to make sure I understand in vivid detail exactly what you expect of me every step of the way. On every task/responsibility/project on which I answer to you, I'm going to work with you to make sure I understand clearly the plan and all the goals, guidelines, and specifications. I'm going to break big deadlines into smaller time frames with concrete performance benchmarks. I'm going to learn standard operating procedures and use checklists. I'm going to keep track of everything I'm doing and exactly how I'm doing it every step of the way. I'm going to help you, boss, monitor and measure and document my performance every step of the way. I'm going to try to solve problems as soon as they occur and, if I come to you for your help, you'll know I really need you. I'm going to use only the approved shortcuts, I'm going to avoid unnecessary problems, and I'm going to learn and grow and be able to take on more and more responsibility. Count on me. With your help, I'm going to be really, really valuable."





********************************************************
http://dreamlearndobecome.blogspot.com This posting was made my Jim Jacobs, President & CEO of Jacobs Executive Advisors. Jim also serves as Leader of Jacobs Advisors' Insurance Practice.

No comments: